Frequently Asked Questions
You can publish and share any kind of file (text, audio, image, video etc.). All formats and extensions are supported.
With public-files, you can publish and share small or large files. The file size limit is 500 Mo..
To publish a file, simply follow these steps:
- - Click on the tab ‘Publish a file’ on the top of the page, or on the ‘Publish’ button on the homepage.
- - Once the upload page opens, click on ‘Select a file to share’ and select the file you want to publish by double clicking on it or clicking on ‘Open’.
- - Enter your email address.
- - Choose which category you want your document to belong to and fill out the fields ‘Title’, ‘Summary’ and ‘Description’. For our moderators to approve your document, we recommend filling out these fields carefully, making sure to stick to the character limit, to write full and exact sentences with appropriate keywords, and to check your spelling and punctuation. It is also important to ensure your content is easy to understand and unique, that you haven’t copy/pasted content from other web pages. Take the time to fill out the form properly; this will contribute to making your publication more visible on search engines.
- - Choose how long your file can be shared,
- - (optional) Add a public comment.
- - Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Your file will then be submitted to our team for manual validation. Once your publication has been accepted, you will receive a confirmation email to let you know that your file is online.
You can publish one document at a time. However, all file publications, downloads and shares are free and unlimited.
After submitting your publication, you will receive a confirmation email. Once your publication has been approved by our moderators, you will receive an email to let you know that your publication is online and ready to be shared and downloaded.
You have just submitted a file but are yet to receive an email approving or rejecting your publication. This means your file is being processed by our team.Indeed, our moderators manually verify the file, the accuracy of the information provided and compliance with our website’s Terms and Conditions. Our moderators can also correct errors or modify descriptive fields to optimise the visibility of the file.
The main reasons for which publications are rejected by our moderation team include:
- -The document you submitted breaches the Terms and Conditions of our website,
- -The title, summary or description provided is incomplete, erroneous or identical to content that already exists on the web.
public-files is a public file publishing and sharing platform. So once your file is approved by our moderators and posted online, it will be disseminated on the web and accessible to all Internet users, and it will appear on search engines.What’s more, your publication will be shared on our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) to enhance its visibility and reach a bigger audience.
The file link is still available but you are unable to download the file. Common reasons include:
- -The publication date has expired,
- -The file has been flagged for breaching the Terms and Conditions of our website, such as copyright, intellectual property rights, etc.
To find files, use the search bar on the homepage and search by key word. Where you see ‘Search for a file’, enter the word or expression you want to search for and click on the button. You must enter at least three characters.Documents corresponding to your search criteria will be automatically listed by order of relevance. Moreover, there is a file catalogue that lists all publications by theme and sub-theme.
To limit the number of search results and easily find the files that you are after, we recommend inserting precise search terms. For example, if your search term is a sentence, put quotation marks around the words or expression. That way the search results will display files containing the words you entered in the same order as those with quotation marks around them.